Monday, November 10, 2008

Buttermilk Baked Chicken

I found this recipe years ago in Southern Living (October 2001). Since it is one of Justin's favorite meals, I have made it countless times for our family and guests. It has a simple ingredient list that requires very little planning.

Buttermilk Baked Chicken
2000 Recipe Hall of Fame
1/4 cup butter
4 boneless chicken breast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Melt butter in 13x9 baking dish in 425 oven.
Sprinkle chicken w/salt and pepper. Dip chicken in 1/2 c buttermilk and dredge in flour.
Arrange chicken in baking dish. Bake chicken at 425 for 15 minutes. Turn, and bake for 10 minutes.
Stir together remaining 1 c buttermilk and soup, pour over chicken and bake additional 10 minutes. If necessary, shield with aluminum foil to prevent excessive burning.
I have always served this meal with brown rice (perfect for the buttermilk gravy) and green beans. Sometimes, I will add a nice crusty bread if I feel like putting in a bit more time.
In the pics below, you can see Micah pouring the green beans into the colander and then rinsing them. Next, he is unwrapping the butter before placing it in the baking dish. And, the last pic is the final product! Voila!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum. I'm coming to dinner when you move up here! ;-)